Sunday, January 13, 2008

PD Tutorials - Controls

Ok, so the other day, I think perhaps Thursday or so I started playing around with some of the PD Audio tutorials. I'm one of those people that oftentimes finds myself wanting more information than necessary. I tend to want exactitude in order to fully grasp how something is functioning. When faced with the various commands that were listed in the boxes i found myself not being able to exactly decipher the "why" of what they were doing. So given that I decided perhaps I should go and do the Tutorials on "Controls". That way it would give me more of an understanding of exactly what, well...the controls are and what each type of box is capable of etc.

So needless to say I came across a problem right in the beginning. When I'm in edit mode for some reason I can get the 'X' to appear at a contact point but yet by clicking I am unable to delete a connection as the tutorial says I should be able to. Yes I am in edit mode and yes I get the 'X' but when I click (both left click and right click- I tried both) nothing happens, zip, zilch, nada. Tried hitting 'delete' and other things but to no avail.

More later...I'm sure

----

Hmm ok so I think I am starting to get a handle on what the different 'types' of boxes are capable of and how they are or are not able to be manipulated in addition to some of the commands. Also the whole notion of Hot and Cold inputs makes sense to me now that I know the placement affects what happens with the incoming and outgoing data. On Weds I was a bit baffled when things weren't doing what I expected which now I know had to do with where the connections were placed.

'Bang' is obviously some sort of 'start' or 'go' button as Patrick had said in class the other day. 'Float' I get as it's like a placeholder/memory for whatever number is fed into it but 'trigger' still eludes me. 'pack' and 'unpack' kind of make sense also but I'll have to play with them a little more to get the hang of exactly what they do. 'Metro', easy one.

-----
'Pipe' rocks!...nuff said.
Sub-patches seem to make sense - so am I to understand that they are kind of like mini-programs that are loaded up at the beginning when PD launches?
----

Grrr the MIDI part of the tutorial only works under Linux.

No comments: